If you do not find the answer to your question on this page, please email us for assistance.  




Budget and Funding Questions   

What types of purchases will require discretionary spending approval? 
Every purchase and reimbursement request made for any good or service, regardless of its funding source, should be treated initially as discretionary. If an item falls into one of the natural accounts that are considered discretionary (natural accounts beginning with 5, 6, or 7), then the requestor, requisitioner, and approvers must use the decision process to determine if the purchase is discretionary or non-discretionary. See the discretionary spending guidelines for more information.  

Why does my purchase need discretionary spending approval? 
The discretionary spending approach is designed to reduce operating costs to meet Rutgers University budget challenges by focusing on incurring only necessary, appropriate, and reasonable expenditures for the university’s mission. All Rutgers faculty and staff are being asked to exercise a continuous commitment to fiscally responsible spending, use sound judgment to help maintain business operations and programs that are financially sustainable, and adhere to discretionary spending guidelines.

How do I ensure a budget for “X” is included in the next fiscal year?
Information coming soon.  

What is the difference between having a budget and having funding?
Information coming soon.

I need to purchase something that has not been budgeted for. What next?
Information coming soon.

What is considered an operating account?
Information coming soon.

What types of purchases can or should be made on operating accounts?
Information coming soon.

When does funding or revenue roll over? 
Information coming soon.

Can I get a report to show the department budget and current activity?
See Budget Status Reports  


back to top


Check Depositing

What is the process for Check Depositing?
Information coming soon.

back to top


Contact Information


What is the main line/email for FASC Budget and Finance? 

The front desk of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences Dean’s Office can be reached at 856-225-6097. Reach all members of FASC Budget and Finance by emailing us at fasc-businessoffice@camden.rutgers.edu.  

Who should I contact for…? 

Please see Department Assignments for designated Business Specialists to individual departments and specific tasks or requests. Additionally, all requests can come through the main FASC Budget and Finance email address at fasc-businessoffice@camden.rutgers.edu, and a Business Specialist will reach out to you to assist. 


Expense Management

If you do not see your question below, the official University Procurement Services FAQs can be found here

I have a late reimbursement submission. What form do I need?
For expenses >60 days, send a completed 60+ Day Exemption Request* to FASC Budget and Finance. For reimbursements submitted >365 days, send a completed Over a Year Exemption Request* to FASC Budget and Finance, which will work with the Dean and the Chancellor’s office for review and signature. Reminder: Expenses incurred more than a year before the report submission date are considered taxable income per the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).  *email FASC Budget and Finance for these forms at fasc-businessoffice@camden.rutgers.edu

I lost my receipt. How do I proceed?
Prepare a Lost Receipt Certification Form and electronically attach it to the expense reports. This form is required for all duplicate or lost receipts and must be accompanied by proof of payment and the signatures of both the requester and FASC Budget and Finance. 

How can I get reimbursed for a conference (registration, hotel, car rental, etc.)?
See the University’s Travel FAQ section for information about travel-related reimbursements.

Are reimbursements through paychecks taxed?
No, there is no tax implication, unless the reimbursement is for a relocation.

What is the process for relocation expenses?
Information coming soon.

Can I be reimbursed for gift cards?
No. Units may order gift cards through Blackhawk via Marketplace.

Can I be reimbursed for Amazon purchases?
No. All Amazon orders are required to be placed via the punch-out in Marketplace.  

When do I need to include a credit card statement?
Information coming soon.

Do all reimbursements go through Expense Management? 
Information coming soon.

What documents do I need to be reimbursed for purchases over $500?
Information coming soon.



back to top


What is the difference between a Class 4 and Class 5 employee?
Class 4 employees are casual hourly employees. Class 5 employees are hourly employees that are full/part-time matriculated Rutgers University students.

What is the difference between a Class 7 and Class 8 employee?
Class 7 employees are Part-time lecturers (PTLs), hired to teach either a full course for one full semester or to teach a recitation section for a full semester, or at least two consecutive seven-week courses in a semester. Class 8 employees are Co-adjutant (Coads) casual employees, who either teach during the academic year and are otherwise regularly appointed employees with a 50% or more type 1 appointment, or individuals who teach less than a full semester during an academic year.

What needs to be completed for a Class 5 Student worker to be onboarded?
Send a completed Class 5 form to FASC Budget and Finance for review and signature. Once signed, forward to Ciera Bowen, Camden HR Staff Associate.

What is the process for hiring a new full-time or part-time (class 4) employee?
A Faculty Personnel Action Form or a Staff Personnel Action Form will need to be completed and submitted via DocuSign. Approvals are automatically routed, and a copy of the completed form will be sent to the requester.

Multiple appointments and restrictions:
See matrix https://ohr.rutgers.edu/forms/Multiple-Assignment-Matrix.pdf

Summer Salary Authorization:
TA/GAs https://ohr.rutgers.edu/ta-ga-forms.html


back to top

Payroll Inquiries

What are the payroll schedules?
Time should be entered no later than Monday EOD in order to be reviewed and approved by Tuesday’s 11 am cut-off. Anything entered on Tuesday morning will not be available for review in the system until after the cutoff time. Time approved after 11 am on Tuesday is not guaranteed to be captured in the upcoming paycheck. View Payroll Schedules 2022-2023.  

What are combination codes and ECIs and when should I be using them?
ECIs (Employee Charging Instructions) are instructions in an HCM Peoplesoft record used to default wage allocations to COA account(s). Combination codes are shorthand codes (8 digits) for the full COA accounts (UDOLFB). Best practices will have ECI’s updated in HCM records so that all wages allocate automatically to what is set as ‘default’. Typically, combination codes should be used in the timesheets when wages are to deviate from the default. Reallocation of wages is easier and quicker when combination codes have not been used in the timesheets.

How do I request a stipend/extra comp payment?
Extra Pay requests can be submitted to FASC Budget and Finance for review, approval, and processing. A completed Extra Pay Request form* should be completed with detailed justification of payment and the COA funding source. *Request this form through FASC Budget and Finance.

Is there a general timesheet that could be used for tracking hours?
Departments can utilize any style of timesheet, as long as the following can be captured: employee name and title, department, date worked, clock in/out times, description of work performed, combination code (if different than set ECI), signature of supervisor. Email us for a general timesheet offered by FASC Budget and Finance.   

Student Employees should use the weekly Time Sheet Form (DocuSign) to enter their hours for supervisor approval. These complete forms with automatically be forwarded to Rutgers–Camden Shared Services.

Our department is issuing an award through payroll. How do we avoid taxing the recipient?
Available TRCs (time reporting codes) in an employee’s timesheet is dependent on the type of employee and job code they possess (ex: Award vs Extra Comp (XPMT)). Some TRCs are taxable while others will pay a net amount. Requests for awards/extra comp should be sent to FASC Budget and Finance for review and approval, who will then work with the department and central payroll to issue the award. If the TRC being used is taxable, the department has the option to “gross up” the award. In this case, the department will pay the taxes and the recipient receives the full amount. For more information about types of payments or income, see UFA’s Miscellaneous Payment page.

Can I see all wages that have posted to a specific account or all accounts that an employee’s wages have posted to?
PD (payroll distribution) reports are available upon request from FASC Budget and Finance. These reports can be generated ‘by employee’ or ‘by COA’.


back to top

Procurement Inquiries

If you do not see your question below, the official University Procurement Services FAQs can be found here.

What is a Non-PO Upload, what is it for and how do I submit one?
The Non-PO Upload process is a transaction process used for paying individuals rather than businesses. Non-PO Uploads make it simple to submit a payment request for multiple individuals at once and allow you to track the status of the request. For more information and guides about Non-PO Uploads, please see the Non-PO Upload section on our Best Practices page.   

How do I know what Marketplace form to use (check request, non-PO upload, service request, etc.)?
The type of form to use in Marketplace will be dependent on the type of purchase that is being made. Most purchases will fall under goods or service requests, and many will qualify to be submitted via a Quick Order. Contact FASC Budget and Finance for the purchasing guideline for different types of purchases, and what needs to be submitted with each to obtain a purchase order.  

What do I need to submit a requisition in Marketplace?
The documentation and forms needed for a requisition will be dependent on the type of purchase being made. Contact FASC Budget and Finance to see the purchasing matrixes to first determine which type of Marketplace form needs to be used, as well as what documents are required for the submission. If the purchase is more than $10,000, a Bid Waiver or Informal Intake form will also need to be included. For purchases of $50,000 or more, please contact the Business Manager first.

What is a confirming order?
Goods cannot be ordered and services cannot be rendered prior to the issuance of a purchase order, per the Procurement and Payment Policy. If this happens, the purchase is considered a confirming order or an unauthorized purchase – a violation of the policy. A university employee who makes an unauthorized purchase may have their purchasing responsibilities suspended or revoked, may face additional disciplinary action, and may be held personally liable for any charges incurred.

Who is allowed to sign contracts, MOUs, other agreements?
Most individuals within units are not authorized to enter into contracts or commit university funds (via a purchase order, or otherwise). Doing so is not binding to the university and university employees who sign contracts or agreements may incur a personal liability. Agreements requiring signature must be forwarded to University Procurement Services for signature; the corresponding requisition number should also be included. The supplier is not in Marketplace.

Can I use the P-Card for payment instead?
Use of the Procurement Card (PCard) is an exception to the preferred methods of procuring goods and services at Rutgers (Marketplace). To request the use the PCardv (contact FASC Budget and Finance for from), send a completed PCard Request Form to FASC Budget and Finance, along with any related backup documents. Contact FASC Budget and Finance for PCard best practices and restrictions.

How do I add a supplier to Marketplace?
Invite the supplier through PaymentWorks; see the job aid for Inviting a Supplier (available on Canvas). Any supplier may be invited, but the request will first need to go through a University Procurement Services approval process; supplier requests may be rejected based on various factors. For foreign suppliers, foreign individuals must contact Tax Services to register with Glacier. For foreign entities, the process stays the same (no need to register with Glacier).

The Amazon punch-out restricted the item I want to buy. What now?
Items are restricted on Amazon in cases where there is an existing supplier catalog available for that type of item. If you are unable to find the item through the other suppliers in Marketplace, contact the UPS Help Desk for further guidance, using the Help Desk Intake Form with the supplier name, part number, and item description.

How long until I get a PO?
Requisitions are reviewed by the business office regularly. We ask that departments practice good time management and submit requisitions well in advance of events or deadlines.  

For Shared Services

Where should the invoice be sent once a PO is created?
Suppliers must send invoices via email to: accountspayable@finance.rutgers.edu. 

I need to purchase a gift card. What is the procedure and policy?
The University has a contract with a gift card supplier, Blackhawk Network, which provides gift cards for major brands and restaurants. Contact Black Hawk Network’s Andrea Ruys at andrea.ruys@bhnetwork.com. All purchases of gift cards must be issued through a check request. For human subject payments, a Questionnaire for Management of Funds Direct Disbursement Form must be attached to the requisition.

I need to set up a new ReadyRefresh account or have a ReadyRefresh account that needs to be converted for payment via the P-Card. What are my next steps?
Payments or ReadyRefresh are now required to be paid via the PCard as opposed to Marketplace. Reach out to FASC Budget and Finance to coordinate with our ReadyRefresh rep in setting up your account on the FASC PCard. Charges will automatically be paid each month and reconciled to the departments during the month-end close.  

Does Rutgers pay taxes on purchases?
Rutgers University is tax-exempt in a number of states. Visit here for in-state and out-of-state exemption status letters to provide to vendors.

I am paying an international vendor. How do I convert the currency?
The Oanda currency converter tool should be used to convert currency for quotes, invoices, receipts, or credit card statements when actual currency exchange receipts are not provided.



back to top

 Project Inquiries

A faculty member has received an internal grant/award. Where does it get transferred to?
Internal grants and awards are typically housed in faculty projects under a specific task that names the award unless otherwise noted in the award letter. If/when a new task needs to be created, reach out to FASC Budget and Finance who will submit the request for a new task and initiate the JE if necessary.  

Can I get regularly scheduled reports of project activity and balances?
Financial reports and packages are to be distributed to the department Chairs and administrative support on a monthly basis. Any ad hoc or YTD requests can be requested via FASC Budget and Finance’s general email address.



back to top


Can I get a Budget Status Report for my department?
Yes. Budget Status Reports are officially run and sent to departments on a quarterly basis, but requests for a year-to-date (YTD) status can be fulfilled at any time. Please see our Departmental Contact page for our Business Specialists.
Is there a way I can run my own budget status report?

FASC Budget and Finance generate and analyzes multiple reports to give department administrators and their Chairs a full picture of financial standings. With Financial Management access, administrators do have the ability to run these reports themselves. See our Reports page for more information about the individual reports we typically use. Administrators are encouraged to reach out to FASC Budget and Finance for confirmation of analyses. 

How do I get a project balance?
Information coming soon.
How do a run a report for…?
See our Reports page for more information about the individual reports we typically use to generate Budget Status Report packages. Additional reports and guides can be found on the UCO website: https://uco.rutgers.edu/goto-reports. If you do not have access to Financial Management or Tableau to generate the report you are seeking, please reach out to FASC Budget and Finance for assistance.



back to top


What do I need to be reimbursed for travel-related expenses?
Travelers must attach original receipts for any travel-related expense in excess of $50. All meal expenses require an original receipt, regardless of the amount. At a minimum, all Rutgers units are required to follow Travel, Travel Incidentals, and Meal Expense Policy 40.4.1, however, individual units may have more restrictions: Preapproval, receipts for all expenses, and Chair approval for operating, etc.

How can I get reimbursed for a conference (registration, hotel, car rental, etc.)?
Employees have the option to pay conference registration fees with personal funds and submit for reimbursement after the conference is over. Proof of attendance is required, as well as proof of payment. The University will reimburse lodging for trips of more than 100 miles one-way, with specific exceptions. The University will also reimburse for a rental car when there is a business justification or when there are no other means of comparable transportation. See the Travel and Business Expense Policy for more information (for employees) (for students and guests).

Can I purchase air/rail tickets on my own and be reimbursed?
No, airfare and rail (Amtrak) tickets are pre-paid by the University and must be booked using the Rutgers Travel Online Booking Tool or by contacting Direct Travel. Travel that is not booked using the Rutgers Travel Online Booking Tool or Direct Travel will not be considered Rutgers-related travel and will not be reimbursed. See the official Booking Travel site for more guidance.

Does travel need pre-approval?
The Preapproval Travel Form is required to be completed prior to booking any conference or research travel for Faculty, PTLs, Staff, and/or Students/Guests.  Please note that the FASC Dean’s signature is only required when it comes to the travel request of Chairs or Associate Deans. Otherwise, these forms are to be approved by the respective Department Chairs and funding office (FASC Budget and Finance or Grants). Download the Preapproval Travel Form here.

Are there still Covid-related restrictions on travel?
For the health and safety of students, faculty, and staff, Rutgers continues its broad restriction on both foreign and domestic travel for University purposes, while allowing limited travel that is explicitly approved as an exception via a waiver process. The restriction includes domestic travel for University purposes outside of the New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, New York, and Connecticut regions. Refer to the Travel Guidance page available from the Office of the Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs for more details.


back to top