School 50 (Camden College of Arts and Sciences) and School 64 (University College) students may petition the CCAS Scholastic Standing Committee for the following:

  • Retroactive Course Withdrawals
  • Readmission after Dismissal
  • Academic Forgiveness

Students should be currently enrolled to submit petitions for review (except for Academic Forgiveness). All students should follow the procedures outlined in the Scholastic Standing Student Checklist.  If students have questions about this process, they should contact their academic advisor or the Dean of Students.

All forms are to be submitted online via Maxient. See below for dates the SSC committee meets as well as specifics about each petition. Students will be notified in writing by the Chair of the Scholastic Standing Committee as to the outcome of their petition. 

Upcoming SSC meeting dates for AY 2020-2021

  • Monday, November 23, 2020
  • Monday, January 25, 2020
  • Monday, February 22, 2020
  • Monday, March 22, 2020
  • Monday, April 26, 2020
  • Monday, May 24, 2020

Retroactive Course Withdrawals:

Students can appeal for a retroactive course withdrawal(s) for coursework that has been completed and assigned a grade. The committee considers petitions for retroactive course withdrawal no later than 1 year after the conclusion of the term in which the course(s) was taken. Exceptions to this time period will only be considered in extraordinary circumstances that require documentation for the delay.

Students can obtain the Retroactive Course Withdrawal form to petition online at:

You should fill out this form as completely as possible. You will be able to upload documents to support your request. You need to include a personal statement with the petition. 

After a student files the petition form, your advisor and instructors will be notified to complete their forms.  An instructor form should be completed for each course that you were enrolled in during the semester that you have submitted the petition for. 

You advisor form and all instructor forms, your petition, supporting documentation and personal statement will be provided to the CCAS SSC Committee for review and approval (or disapproval). 

The Scholastic Standing Committee petition for a retroactive course withdrawal is an academic action only. If your request is approved it will help your cumulative GPA average only. All students need to communicate and keep in touch with Financial Aid concerning financial aid deadlines and federal financial aid guidelines. 

Generally, the following WILL constitute grounds for acceptance of a withdrawal petition:

  1. Medical reasons. (Physical or Psychological problems must have an established background and documentation).
  2. Change of family or economic status.
  3. Administrative, faculty advisory, or instructor error.

Generally, the following WILL NOT constitute grounds for withdrawing from a course or semester:

  1. Voluntary overload of course work (with or without advisor’s signature).
  2. Discontinuation of class attendance.
  3. Obvious disregard of the catalog rules.
  4. An attempt to remove a lower grade in order to maintain a good average.
  5. Sudden revelations (after drop/withdrawal period) that the work is too demanding, or that the student does not have background for the course.
  6. Failure to consult with the professor (after drop/withdrawal period and/or after receiving a warning notice).
  7. Change of major.
  8. Requesting only one course (not the entire semester) be withdrawn.

Readmission After Dismissal:
Students who have been dismissed from the college for academic reasons may appeal for readmission provided they have not previously been dismissed.

Students can obtain the Readmission after Dismissal form to petition online at:

Dismissed students are instructed to enroll at an accredited academic institution and earn at least 12 transferable credits with at least a 2.5 GPA in order to be considered for readmission. Students seeking to be readmitted in the Fall term must submit readmission forms by August 15 and by January 1 to be considered for Spring term readmission.

Academic Forgiveness:
Students who have under a 2.00 cumulative grade point average and who have been not enrolled at any Rutgers University campus for at least ten successive semesters may be eligible for academic forgiveness from one entire term of coursework or 12 total credits of coursework. Courses that are granted forgiveness will still have the original grade appear on the student’s transcript; however, the grades for these courses will not factor into the student’s cumulative grade point average. An e-credit prefix will be placed on the transcript which notes that academic forgiveness has been granted for the course.

Students can obtain the Academic Forgiveness form to petition online at: