Jean MaddenI have been employed at the Paul Robeson Library since 1998. In 2001, I was diagnosed with cancer. After chemotherapy and radiation and feeling sorry for myself, I realized I had a second chance in life. I started running and worked my way up to 6 miles. I lost weight and changed both my wardrobe and my demeanor. Since both my children went to Rutgers and my husband has a degree from Penn State, it was time for me to get a degree. I started as a part time student in 2005 taking courses while working full time. With a family and a full time job, I would not have had the opportunity to take classes without Rutgers-Camden. I am now a senior working towards a Fine Arts major with a degree in Studio Art and a concentration in Photography. I am over 60, so I am definitely a non-traditional student. I hope to finish my degree in two or three years.

The campus is so beautiful in spring when the trees and flowers are in bloom, so when I was asked to create a photo book for a photography class, I took pictures of the Camden campus. I now have a wonderful keepsake of Rutgers. I enjoy meeting new students each year and hate to see the students leave. With the small class sizes, I was able to make some good friends here at Rutgers-Camden. Also, by working at the Circulation and Reference desks, I get to know a lot of the students and faculty.

As a student, I also have had the opportunity to go on two International study trips over spring break. Last year I went on a trip to England and photographed rural and urban England. This year the trip was for an Art History course, “The Art and Architecture of Italy.” These trips were once in a lifetime experiences that I will never forget.