skip to main content

Contact Information

Faculty of Arts and Sciences
Rutgers–Camden
311 North 5th Street
Camden, NJ 08102
(856) 225-6097
artsci@camden.rutgers.edu

Student Spotlight

We R Rutgers-Camden: Daniel Stapelkamp

Daniel Stapelkamp
"I am very proud to be a student at Rutgers-Camden: this university allows me to better myself and to become the person I always dreamed I would develop into."
Home » News » We R Arts and Sciences Student Spotlight » We R Rutgers-Camden: Brian Haughwout

We R Rutgers-Camden: Brian Haughwout

Posted at 10:36 a.m. Feb. 22, 2012, in We R Arts and Sciences Student Spotlight

Brian HaughwoutI was always a strong student, until health problems in my early twenties forced me to leave college early. When I tried to return in my late twenties, other schools didn’t want to gamble on me, but Rutgers-Camden took the bet.

Although I felt odd as an undergraduate at my age, the history department here embraced me and helped me find my place. With their help, I got back to where I was supposed to be, graduating magna cum laude and starting graduate work before I even completed my bachelor’s degree.

Five years ago, I thought I could never succeed. Now I’m finishing a master’s degree in public history and working toward a doctorate, all while also presenting at history conferences and working at the Battleship New Jersey right here in Camden. None of this would be possible without the guidance of the faculty here at Rutgers-Camden. Five years ago, I thought I had to kiss my dreams goodbye, but instead I’m now rising in my field and making a name for myself.

Along the way, the Rutgers brand gets me an audience while my experiences at Rutgers-Camden help me to share what I’ve learned with others in my field and in my new community.

About Brian Haughwout

Hometown: Cherry Hill, NJ

Undergraduate Major: History

Undergraduate Minors: Anthropology and European Studies

Graduate Program: Public History

Camden College of Arts and Sciences Graduation Date: 2011

Expected Graduate School-Camden Graduation Date: 2013

Mr. Haughwout is a member of Phi Beta Kappa and Phi Alpha Theta, the National History Honor Society.

Tags: , ,