Gina BlackRutgers-Camden has given me numerous opportunities to grow into a stronger, more knowledgeable student leader. During my two years at Rutgers-Camden, I’ve become a peer mentor, an orientation leader, the president of the Campus Activities Board, the secretary of the Student Government Association, the manager of the IMPACT Booth, and the first president of the Honors College Think Tank. Serving as president of the Think Tank was the first leadership role that I held in college, and it helped me gain confidence as a student and a leader. The Think Tank was created to bring the Honors College community together through service and activities. We’ve coordinated a weekly Cupcakes 4 Cancer bake sale, raising $800 for childhood cancer; raised money for and participated in the Philadelphia American Cancer Society Breast Cancer Walk; raised money for UNICEF during International Week; and hosted a holiday party where we collected money and toys for the Toys for Tots program.  This position allowed me to meet and spend time with many of the new students and become a more visible member of the Honors College.

In October 2011 I was able to go to Phoenix, Arizona for the National Honors College Conference.  I attended the conference with Dr. Robert Emmons, Assistant Dean of the Honors College, and seven other Honors College students.  We met Honors College students from all over the country and learned about their programs’ requirements and activities. This conference was a great opportunity to gather ideas and information that we can modify and apply to our program.

My leadership experiences at Rutgers-Camden helped me earn a scholarship to attend the Association of College Unions International Institute for Leadership Education and Development (ACUI I-LEAD) at the University of Missouri. This institute was created to help students evolve as leaders and improve their campus unions and organizations. I am the first Rutgers-Camden student to win a scholarship and attend this conference.  Truly, attending the conference was one of the most amazing experiences I have had, and I am so thankful for all of the experiences that being a Rutgers-Camden student have given me. 

Ms. Black is the former president of the Honors College Think Tank and is the current president of the Campus Activities Board. She will serve as the secretary of the Student Government Association for the upcoming academic year.  She was chosen as the Most IMPACT-ful Employee of the Campus Center’s IMPACT Booth and received the honor of being named the “Student Leader to Look Out For” by Patrick Wallace, Associate Director of the Campus Center, and Allison Wisniewski, Associate Dean of Students.    

About Gina Black

Hometown: Palmyra, NJ

Major: English

Minor: Spanish (working toward a teaching certificate)

Expected Camden College of Arts and Sciences Graduation Date: May 2014