Amy Henry black and white photoI attended two Ivy League institutions before deciding to make Rutgers-Camden my new home. I was a Garden State Scholar and a Rutgers Scholar but chose to go to Dartmouth. After working for a few years, I fulfilled a little dream and got my master’s degree at Harvard. I never thought I would find my way back to New Jersey, but after working in applied research for five more years, I realized that I wanted to pursue serious scholarship. After looking at a variety of institutions, I found the Childhood Studies program, and never looked back! I was attracted to the exceptional faculty and was thrilled that Rutgers-Camden could attract them. I was extremely drawn to the idea of studying in Camden, as the opportunity to support a community of children with so many needs very much appealed to me. (My high school is in South Jersey and many of my classmates were from Camden. I saw first-hand, as an adolescent, how hard children from Camden must work to realize educational opportunities, and the idea of studying in Camden made getting a PhD feel more meaningful to me.) I feel like the education I’ve received in the Childhood Studies program absolutely rivals the quality that I experienced at Dartmouth and Harvard.

About Amy Henry

Hometown: Haddonfield, NJ

Graduate Program: PhD in Childhood Studies

Expected GSC Graduation Date: 2015