Marissa IonnoI remember walking onto the Rutgers-Camden campus and just knowing it was where I was meant to be. Everyone always told me, “You’ll have that feeling when you know you’re at the right school” and I just laughed it off, thinking “That sounds pretty far-fetched.” I can’t believe that was three years ago. Deciding to go to Rutgers-Camden has been the best decision I’ve made thus far. I’m getting an affordable education, and I’m being taught by professors who have knowledge, research experience, and global recognition. 

Although unsure at first what I wanted to study, I chose to major in biology and minor in psychology, and I hope to go to medical school after I graduate.  I’ve joined the American Medical Student Association (AMSA) so that I can prepare for this next step.  I’m also involved with the campus’ Animal Lovers Club, which inspired me to start my new page on Facebook, the TAILS Network. The TAILS Network, which stands for Transforming An Innocent Life by Sharing, aims to network shelter animals that are at risk for being put to sleep. Animals from shelters around the globe have their pictures posted on the Facebook page’s wall in the hope that someone who is located close to the animal will see the picture and adopt the animal before they are euthanized.  I wanted to give animals who would normally be overlooked a second chance at life.  In just a short amount of time, the page has gotten over 3,500 ‘likes.’ My hope is that we one day reach 18,000. The more people that know about the page, the more likely it is that we can save animals’ lives.

I feel fortunate to be recognized for my achievements.  I am proud to be a Rutgers-Camden student, fortunate to be applying what I’ve learned at Rutgers-Camden to my interests outside of school, and thankful knowing that I’ll be graduating with such an honorable degree.

Ms. Ionno has been named to the Dean’s List for the past four semesters and has twice received the Honors College Award, which is presented for outstanding performance in an honors seminar.  She is a recipient of the Arts and Sciences Academic Excellence Fund scholarship, and also receives an annual academic scholarship.

To learn more about Ms. Ionno and the TAILS Network, read “Rutgers Student Saving Pets with Facebook,” which appeared in the Cinnaminson Patch on August 3rd, 2012: https://cinnaminson.patch.com/articles/rutgers-student-saving-pets-with-facebook-188bbd2b.

About Marissa Ionno

Hometown: Laurel Springs, NJ

Major: Biology

Minor: Psychology

Expected Camden College of Arts and Sciences Graduation Date: May 2014