Faculty may request to exclude AY 2019/2020 from their probationary period and extend it by the same time period excluded due to the COVID crisis.
- This applies to all tenure track faculty who are in a probationary period for tenure as of January 1, 2020.
- For faculty slated to be evaluated for reappointment or promotion on the tenure track in Academic Year 2020/2021, they must submit a written request by no later than May 1, 2020.
- For faculty in a probationary period extending beyond Academic Year 2020/2021, they must submit a written request by no later than May 1, 2021.
- Approval by the chair or dean is required.
- For faculty governed by the University’s agreement with AAUP-AFT, the option of a one-year exclusion is separate from and in addition to exclusions available pursuant to Articles 16 and 17 of that agreement.
- Approval of a request by a faculty member to exclude AY 2019/2020 may not be unreasonably withheld.
- For faculty governed by the University’s agreement with AAUP-AFT, written requests may be submitted via email or other written correspondence to the chair or dean by no later than May 1, 2020 or May 1, 2021, whichever applies. When such request is received and approved, the unit should contact Academic Labor Relations for the preparation of an individual memorandum of agreement (MOA) to be executed by the faculty member and dean.
- If any unit or department contemplates withholding approval of a request by a faculty member to exclude AY 2019/2020, please contact Academic Labor Relations to discuss as approval may not be unreasonably withheld.
Faculty may later opt to withdraw an approved exclusion of AY 2019/2020 due to COVID-19 and proceed with a probationary clock that does not include a COVID-19 exclusion.
Requirements and Implementation:
- This applies to all tenure track faculty who are in a probationary period for tenure as of January 1, 2020, and who were granted an exclusion of AY 2019/2020 due to COVID.
- All such faculty must notify their chair or dean that they opt to rescind the requested exclusion via email or other written correspondence by no later than March 1 of the year in which the faculty member seeks to be evaluated for tenure.
- A withdrawal of the option to exclude shall be without penalty or prejudice to the tenure review.