This website offers an overview meant to provide general information about the tenure-track reappointment processes and timing. This site does not supersede the Rutgers University Labor Relations policies and procedures (linked below). The general instructions can be accessed here.
If you have additional questions, or need clarification, please feel free to contact the Dean’s Office by phone at (856) 225-6097 or by email at email@example.com.
- Dean’s Office notifies chairs and candidates who must go up for reappointment the following year.
- Dean’s office sends reminder email to chairs and candidates no later than Thanksgiving break.
December 2023/January 2024
- Chairs obtain the inventoried Supplemental Materials from each candidate as indexed in Appendix H [DOCX]
- Candidate completes applicable Form 1A [DOCX] or Form 1B [DOCX]. Please note that the suggested and preferred method to generate Reappointment/Promotion Form 1A [DOCX]/Form 1B [DOCX] is by updating the Faculty Survey online. Questions regarding the Faculty Survey should be directed to Mr. Tin Lam (848-932-7350 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Chairs consult with tenured members of the department to determine whether to have a reading committee
- For joint appointees, the chair will obtain report from secondary department, unit or program, if applicable.
- Chairs schedule and run departmental meetings
- Chairs write Departmental Narrative Form 4 [DOCX] in consultation with department colleagues.
- Chairs submit Departmental Narrative to the Dean’s Office by Friday, January 19, 2024.
- The chairs notify candidate, in writing, of the department’s action within 5 working days of department meeting.
- A&P Committee reviews candidate’s official packet and may consult with the dean.
- The A&P Committee’s written report and recommendation are due to the dean within a week of voting and no later than the end of February.
- Dean’s Narrative (Form 5 [DOCX]) is completed.
- Dean notifies candidate within 10 days of final decision on reappointment with tenure, and promotions involving tenured ranks, where both the department and decanal levels are negative, excluding cases being considered under rank review provision.
- Dean’s Office notifies candidates of reappointment status.
- Dean’s Office sends out new reappointment contracts prior to June 30, 2024.