The New Jersey Medical and Health Sciences Education Restructuring Act provides for most schools and units of Rowan School of Osteopathic Medicine to be transferred to Rutgers. As a result of this integration, you will see changes to this website.
Students will complete a three year curriculum at Rutgers–Camden and the traditional four year curriculum at Rowan School of Osteopathic Medicine in Stratford, NJ.
You must be accepted for admission to Rutgers–Camden Campus before requesting an application to this program from the Pre-Med Advisor.
How it Works
Students will complete a three year curriculum toward a BS degree in Biology at Rutgers–Camden and the traditional four year curriculum at Rowan University School of Osteopathic in Stratford, NJ.
The program is open to qualified high school graduates applying as first year students. There are no restrictions on state of residency, but admission is limited to citizens or permanent residents of the United States. All applicants to the Joint Program must provide proof of high school graduation. The high school grade point average, if applicable, rank-in class, along with letters of recommendation (2) from teachers/professors will be of primary importance in evaluating an applicant’s credentials. Applicants are also required to submit scores of the College Board Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT – Minimum Score Required – 1400 (new)) or the American College Testing Program (ACT – Minimum Score Required – 31).
Applications are accepted beginning November 1st and the deadline for applications is January 10th. (Preference will be given to candidates applying for early admission to Rutgers–Camden). After preliminary evaluation of applications by a Joint Admissions Committee from Rutgers and Rowan School of Osteopathic Medicine, applicants will be invited for interviews at Rutgers–Camden and Rowan School of Osteopathic Medicine. Applicants not invited for an interview or not selected for admission to the Joint Program shall be notified of the decision as soon as possible.
Visit admissions.camden.rutgers.edu for information and an electronic admissions application.
Students are expected to maintain a minimum grade point average of 3.5 (B) in all course work and a minimum grade of B in each of the science courses required for admission to Rowan School of Osteopathic Medicine. NOTE: AP Credits from High School do not satisfy the above requirements. All required science courses must be taken on the Camden Campus.
- Students are strongly encouraged to construct a well-rounded undergraduate degree plan that incorporates coursework in the humanities, liberal arts and social/behavorial sciences, as well as the premedical sciences.
- Completion of all general curriculum requirements at Rutgers–Camden with a minimum of 90 credits completed.
- All prerequisite courses required for admission to Rowan School of Osteopathic Medicine.
- Completion of requirements of the designated Rutgers–Camden major, unless the major department agrees to provide credit for certain medical courses completed during the first year of medical school at Rowan School of Osteopathic Medicine.
- No final grade of “D”, “F”, or “T” in any prerequisite course required for admission to Rowan School of Osteopathic Medicine
- A median score of 501 or better on the Medical College Admissions test (MCAT); Rowan School of Osteopathic Medicine and Rutgers–Camden reserve the right to consider students with MCAT scores below the minimum on an individual basis.
- Recommendation by Rutgers–Camden premed Advisor based on majority approval of the Rutgers–Camden Admissions Committee.
- Satisfactory interviews with the Program Admissions Committees at Rutgers–Camden and Rowan School of Osteopathic Medicine.
Rutgers University–Camden Courses (3 years taken at Rutgers–Camden)
|Prerequisite Courses||Number of Credits required|
|Biology (with laboratories)||8 credits|
|Organic Chemistry (with laboratories)||8 credits|
|Inorganic Chemistry (with laboratories)||8 credits|
|Biochemistry (effective Spring 2015)||4 credits|
|Physics (with laboratories)||8 credits|
|English (includes English composition)||6 credits|
(3 hours may be satisfied by computer science or statistics)
(Psychology, Sociology, or Cultural Anthropology)
For academic majors at Rutgers–Camden consult the college undergraduate catalog or check online.
Rowan School of Osteopathic Medicine Courses (4 years taken at Rowan School of Osteopathic Medicine)
- Community Medicine I
- Functional Anatomy
- Gross and Development Anatomy
- Concepts and Historical Foundations of Osteopathic Medicine
- Osteopathic Principles and Practices