Edward SpellWhen deciding on a college, I chose Rutgers-Camden. My sister graduated from Rutgers-Camden, and from her experience I knew that it was in an ideal location and known for its reputation for excellence. While attending Rutgers-Camden, I had the advantages of small class sizes, excellent and caring faulty members, and a superior library. Rutgers-Camden had a tremendous impact on my life. It re-enforced my family values of hard work, excellence, and the need to give back and help others whenever possible. Even as a primarily commuter college, Rutgers-Camden offered (and still offers) a wealth of opportunities. While at Rutgers-Camden I participated in student government, served on the staff of the Gleaner, worked on-campus in the work-study program, and was a brother in Tau Epsilon Phi. The campus also offered a superb assortment of speakers, entertainment, and other academic events.

Through its prestigious reputation, Rutgers-Camden gave me an excellent start to my career path. After graduation, from 1976 – 1980, I served as Assistant District Attorney and Chief of Recruitment at the Office of the District Attorney in Bronx County. From 1980-1986 I served as Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Office of the U.S. Attorney in Newark, New Jersey. Clearly, the education I received at Rutgers-Camden was first-rate, and prepared me well for future success.

Mr. Spell recently retired as Managing Director and Senior Vice President from the Chubb Group of Insurance Companies. He is a current member of the Dean’s Leadership Council for the Faculty of Arts and Sciences at Rutgers-Camden. He is also serves on the Advisory Council for Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) of Bucks County.

About Edward Spell

Hometown: Cherry Hill, NJ

Camden College of Arts and Sciences Major: Political Science

Camden College of Arts and Sciences Graduation Date: 1973

Camden School of Law Graduation Date: 1976